My Photo
Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

A Man for All Seasons





Snow-a word that evokes a variety of responses among people. For some, a fear of treacherous driving and becoming snowbound. For others, thoughts of extreme cold and icy conditions. Then there are people like me, who immediately reflect on a lifetime of wonderful memories associated with snow.


From the time I was very little, I loved to go outside and play in the snow. The more snow, the more fun. We made snowmen, had snowball fights, built snow forts and pretended to be Royal Canadian Mounties with dogsleds fighting through the frozen wilderness. I remember my Dad hooking up our sleds to the back of his car as he drove the empty country roads near our home. There were also the times when it seemed like frontier conditions as we had to walk the one mile distance each way back and forth to town because our little country road had not been plowed and we couldn't get our car out to the county road.


When I had my own family, we continued the tradition of enjoying the snow. In addition to snowball fights and extended sessions of shoveling our corner lot in town (together with the small parking area for the office in our home), we had some truly memorable times sledding in the mountains of Pennsylvania with some dear family friends on getaway weekends. Although we homeschooled, my standing rule was that I would declare a snow day for school if we had two feet of snow (this standard was relaxed a bit if we got a very substantial snow because we rarely if ever had two feet of snow fall at one time).


This whole subject was prompted by reports I received of a late winter storm back in our former home of NJ just a few days ago. With some real melancholia I reminded myself that having moved to Texas three years ago to pursue new opportunities provided by the Lord, we truly are in a new season of life, one that regrettably no longer includes a season with snow. Yet there is a great peace in knowing that we are where the Lord would have us and we have experienced great joy and satisfaction here in our new home and living situation in South Texas. Eccl. 3:1 says "To every thing there is a season..." to which I simply say "Amen".



~Jeff




Don't forget our current giveaway!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home