My Photo
Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

Monday, November 24, 2008

Musings On Gift-giving


Posted by Picasa
Little ones have a way of reminding us of the important things in life. A few days ago I was presented with a petite gift bag stuffed with brightly colored tissue paper. My generous friend, a young girl of 5, beamed from ear to ear and I removed the tissue paper and found her little treasure inside.

In an instant I became the proud recipient of a necklace strung with deep blue plastic beads. After hugs and thanks were exchanged, I wore the beads for the remainder of the day. Every time I fingered the string of blue plastic beads draped around my neck, I was reminded of this little girl's love and the true spirit of gift-giving.

As the holiday season approaches, my mind often turns to picking out that perfect present for family and friends. While there is nothing wrong with searching for that special something, my blue beads remind me that gifts are to be symbols of our love and friendship. Gifts are meaningful because of what they represent.

Now, I adore my blue beads and cherish them as a precious possession, but honestly, if I passed them in a store I probably would resist the temptation to buy them. :) The true value of this gift in not found in its monetary worth, but in the love-inspired generosity of a little girl. To me, every bead feels wrapped in love like the way my little friend often flings her arms around my neck in a mighty embrace. Without that, this necklace would not be so prized.

As I enter this time of planning and scheming over gifts to purchase for loved ones, this is a lesson I do not wish to forget: It matters little if the gift is purchased at Brook's Brothers or the dollar store, its true value is the love and friendship behind the symbolic token.

And that is why I love my new blue beads.

~Cara

2 Comments:

Anonymous Grace Gobart said...

This is so well-written, Cara, and the sentiment so clear. It makes me smile. I hope you write more and more...I always enjoy your thoughts.
Grace

7:26 PM  
Blogger The Horn Family said...

Mrs. Gobart,

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. They are very dear and special to me especially coming from such a godly woman.

John and I hope to once again be more faithful in posting once this very busy season is over.

~Cara

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home