My Photo
Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Simple Joys of Life

There are few enjoyments in life like laying out in the sun soaking up its warmth with book in hand. A couple days ago I spoiled myself with such a treatment for about an hour, in the time between grocery shopping and driving to pick up my grandfather. Entwining my toes in the warm grass, and feeling the sun rays dance across my face, I reveled in the quiet solitude so conducive to both reading and thinking. What a sense of peace these simple joys can bring.

Simple joys. How easily I am caught up in the daily duties and tasks of life, neglecting to do the extra things that make life special. As reading has always been of great importance to our family, many special memories revolve around time spent listening while Mom or Dad would read aloud. Some of my very earliest memories are of Dad reading to Tim and me in the evenings. Another vivid recollection I have is of listening to Mom read the Laura Ingalls’ books to me, as a child or around five or six years old, before tucking me into bed. While I loved listening as my parents would bring to life the written word, true appreciation for their sacrifice of time and energy has only come as I’ve grown older.

Now it is a deep joy and privilege to share those memories with my younger brother, John. Over the past couple of years we have read a few books together, and I truly think I’ve enjoyed it just as much being the "reader" as I did being the one read to. There is a special bond created as together you eagerly await the next chapter, laugh over what has happened so far, and discuss your theories about what you think is to come. Sometimes life seems too busy for such a small thing, and at times it is. The several months surrounding our move saw little time to sit down and read together, but how grateful I am that life has now settled down enough to take book in hand and once again be captured by the written word. I am so thankful for the parents God blessed us with, for by their example they have taught us of the need to take a step back and relish in the simple joys of life.

~Cara

9 Comments:

Blogger sugarcubed said...

I am green with envy. Do you know that we expect snow flurries tonight? And you torture me with talk of sunshine and green grass. Ah, but I should not be envious for it has been very mild this winter.

4:55 PM  
Blogger The Horn Family said...

As life goes, I would gladly trade our 80 degree weather with some snow flurries any day!

We are trying to enjoy these "cool" days before summer sets in with all its fury. I finally caved in today and turned the air on while driving with my grandfather. It's the principle of the thing really; one should not have to use the air conditioning in February according to my calendar. :)

Hope it snows back home. Your mom would be happy at least!

~Cara

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Dani B said...

Sounds wonderful dear. I'm so glad you were able to spend that quiet time. I must say, I would have thoroughly enjoyed feeling grass between my toes today!! Jane Austen said something along the lines of "Solitude and Literature are as nessesary to a young woman's development as sunshine is to fruit." I don't know if I got it word for word, but you get the idea. :)

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cara,
Thank you for being an example of a good reader! Your love of reading has been inspiring! I just started another book today! :-)

Love,
LJN

9:37 PM  
Blogger The Horn Family said...

Dani,
I loved and thoroughly agreed with the quote of Jane Austen. I'm already planning what books to bring for the plane trip in May. :) See you then!

LJN,
What new book are you working on now? You amaze me with your ability to live life and do all that studying as well! We'll have to do some reading and discussing of books when you come and visit, OK? :)

~Cara

6:07 AM  
Blogger The Horn Family said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:07 AM  
Blogger sugarcubed said...

I recognize that Austen quote. Wasn't that for Northanger Abbey? Austen has some wonderfully satirical quotes, though her philosophies on life are not always applicable today.:)

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Cara,
Well today sunny southern CA is living up to its name. I to was outside with my "toes in the grass" reading. The temperature was in the eighties! Crazy.
My book of choice was also crazy . . . the AP guide to Microeconomics.
Hello also to Dani and Cory! I hope you all are well. It was so nice to meet you last year!
- Lydia

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Jen Barnes said...

Cara,
I am a very belated blog reader, but I try! I really enjoyed reading your post. I also have fond memories of my parents reading to me before bedtime. Now it is my turn, as I am the family's designated reader. We are currently working our way as a family through "Anne of Avonlea", and truly enjoying the trip. I hope that my siblings will carry the memories with them through the years. I know that I will!

It is supposed to snow this weekend, which is good, as we need the moisture. I do hope that you all get some nice winter weather soon, for your sakes. My brother mentions the lack of snow flurries, and even the non-neccessity of a heater quite often since his removal "down South". :)

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home