My Photo
Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

Thursday, January 19, 2006

A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS

I am not a mechanic. For those who know our family well, it should not come as a surprise that the daughter of said family is entirely illiterate where cars or other mechanical devices are concerned. Up until last week my driving record was almost entirely devoid of car problems - only one time previously had I even needed to nurse an "I-am-trying-to-stall-out" vehicle. Last week I added to my repertoire of situations handled while driving when the car battery up and died on me.

All morning I had been rushing about eagerly preparing our home for the much anticipated arrival of some dear friends from New Jersey. Their plane was due in that afternoon, and as Mom can't drive due to her broken wrist, I was the official chauffeur. Some errands needed to be accomplished before picking them up at the airport, so I left that afternoon with plenty of time to spare.

First on my list of errands was Walgreens to pick up one of my grandfather's numerous prescriptions. When I came back to the car and attempted to start it, to my great surprise and horror, the van simply went "click, click." Having no battery problems previously, it came as an entirely unexpected shock. Thinking that maybe it was only my imagination, I tried again. Click. Click. Click. Nope - this was the real thing.

Whipping out our nifty little cell phone, I did what any self-respecting girl with a car that went "click, click," would do - call Dad. Verizon phones are great except when a little voice comes on and says, "I'm sorry, but due to technical difficulties the Verizon Network is currently unavailable," or some other horrible thing to that effect. Thankfully I was able to call Mom at home to see if she could contact Dad as the only other car we have was with him at work, and I still needed to pick up our friends.

Tapping my fingers impatiently on the steering wheel, an idea suddenly popped into my head. What do you do when your car won't start and you have no clue what to do? Pop the hood and gaze at your engine with a bewildered, semi-stupid look. Once I figured out how to unlatch the hood, looking bewildered wasn't hard to do. :) God graciously allowed a very kind gentleman to see my distress and give me a jump. After hearing "click, click," the sound of a running vehicle is such sweet music.

"Oh, I just want to let you know that your car probably won't start again when you turn it off," the man told me as he climbed into his pick-up truck. My heart sunk as he said those words, while my mind raced for the next solution. I needed to park at the airport when I went to pick up our friends, as it was arranged for me to meet them just outside of security and assist them with their bags. Being stranded with a dead battery in the parking garage of the San Antonio International Airport would not be a good way to introduce our friends to the area.

Once again God took my fears away and showed me that He was in control, and not the cranky battery. Because I had left the house early there was still enough time for me to drive down to Vision Forum, leave my gracious father with the offending vehicle, and take the other car to the airport in time to accomplish my goal.

A favorite saying of mine is "Life is never boring around here." Don't you agree? :)

~Cara

2 Comments:

Anonymous Bethany said...

;) was showing my grandma some of the pictures of me down there, and she read a part of this post. she "likes the way she writes", and says you sound intelligent!

you do write well, and so i got to laugh again reading this. is it fixed and reliable yet?!

7:51 PM  
Blogger The Horn Family said...

Bethany,
Please give your grandmother my greetings and express my gratitude for her kind, undeserved words.

Yes, the van is back into normal functioning condition. A new battery fixed the problem, so once again we can safely navigate the streets of San Antonio.

~Cara

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home