My Photo
Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

Thursday, November 03, 2005

A BLESSING OF HAVING A REALLY SMART DAD

Sometimes unusual events cause us to see common fixtures around us in a new way. Let me explain:

The other day while picking my grandfather up from the Adult Day Car Center where he attends a few days a week, I ran into a dilemma. A big dilemma. My grandfather refused to get in the car with me to come home.

Somehow, in his confused state of mind, he thought that he had borrowed a friend's car without telling him, and now he needed to return it. Knowing that this was entirely impossible, I attempted to try and convince him to get in the car with me and told him that we could figure it all out later. I now know who I inherited my stubbornness from. Convinced that he was right, my grandfather determinedly set off looking around the parking lot for this "car."

Thankfully, I had remembered to bring the cell phone and quickly called my dad to see if he could convince my grandfather to at least get in the car with me. After a few minutes of discussion, Dad finally talked my grandfather into driving home with me, assuring him that he would take care of all the "car" details later.

Although unconvinced, my grandfather got into the car and we departed for home. Still upset about not returning this "car" he had "borrowed," my grandfather kept asking me how on earth Dad would be able to find the "car" and drive it back to its owner's home. I kept assuring him that he had a very smart, capable son who could figure it out, but that didn't seem to cut it. Anxiously racking my brain as my grandfather became increasingly agitated, I stumbled upon the perfect solution to calm him down. "PopPop," I said, "Jeff (when talking with my grandfather I have to call my dad by his first name so he knows who I'm speaking of) is a very intelligent man. He was an attorney for 25 years, and it was his job to solve problems for people. I'm sure he'll be able to take care of this for you."

Breathing a sigh of relief as I notice a more mollified grandfather, I was instantly grateful that although my grandfather often doesn't know who we are, he hasn't forgotten his pride in the intelligence and learning of his son.

Sometimes, you just never know when it will come in handy to have a really smart Dad.

~Cara

5 Comments:

Blogger supyo1776 said...

Ditto to that!

10:01 PM  
Anonymous richleau said...

Cara: this story really made me smile! Looking forward to reading more posts. ~Derek

7:19 PM  
Anonymous James said...

So did your dad ever find the car for your grandpa?

7:34 PM  
Blogger sugarcubed said...

duh.

7:10 PM  
Blogger The Horn Family said...

Thanks, Les. Good answer. :)

~Cara

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home