My Photo
Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

While I was doing school this morning, I came across Proverbs 1:23. "Turn you at my reproof: be hold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you." I thought it would be interesting to do an in-depth study of it. So here is what I found. First of all, I have to give it in context. It is continuing from the previous verses, that are talking about wisdom, and that it is crying out to men. So when it says, "turn you at my reproof," it means that wisdom, is calling out to the men, and telling them to turn at her reproof. I believe it means that when we are doing something foolish, we are to turn away from it, when wisdom tells us that it is wrong. And continuing on from that phrase, it is listing the good things that will befall us if we take heed to her. "I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you." It's saying, that when we take heed to her call, we will have wisdom poured out onto us, and we will know words that we could not understand before. This is what Matthew Henry said in his commentary:

"He invites them to repent and become wise, v. 23. Turn you at my reproof, that is, return to your right mind, turn to God, turn to your duty, turn and live. Those that love simplicity find themselves under a moral impotency to change their own mind and way; they cannot turn by any power of their own. To this God answers, 'Behold, I will pour out my Spirit unto you; set yourselves to do what you can, and the grace of God shall work in you both to will and to do that good which, without that grace, you could not do.' I will pour out my Spirit unto you. The means of this grace is the word. It is therefore promised, 'I will make known my words unto you, not only speak them to you, but give you to understand them.'"

Thank you Matthew Henry for such a good insight about that verse. For an ending summary, I believe that if we give heed to the call of wisdom, and turn at her reproof, that we will be given much good in return. Thanks for reading this.

~John

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home